I am pulling together a list of resources that we will use in an adoption Sunday trial on Sunday 4th of November in Oxford churches.
The big idea is that National Adoption week kicks off on the 5th of November and we thought it would be great if the church was at the front of it.
We are running a trial to learn lessons for a possible national adoption Sunday in 2013.
We want to help make fostering and adoption mainstream within the UK church so that we inspire new foster carers and adoptive parents to step forward, encourage and support current foster carers, adoptive parents and their children but also look for ways the church can wrap around and support those families.
So in preparation we are looking for great resources, making a “flat pack” service guide and shooting a short video. I’d love your help in pulling together good resources, so watch this space but also feel free to help me answer the following question:
Which songs shall we sing?
The songs I know that directly mention adoption are few and far between-. any songwriters fancy a new challenge?
1. Father God I wonder , By Ian Smale (Ishmael)
That’s a pretty terrible inditement of our lack of appreciation of the great fact of our adoption into God’s family. Either that or we just can’t think how to rhyme adoptioned / adopted with anything.
Songs about God’s Fatherhood
1. How deep the Father’s love for us- Stuart Townend
2. The Father’s Song – Matt Redmond
3. I’m Accepted, I’m forgiven – Rob Hayward
4. Be Thou My Vision – especially Thou my great Father, I Thy true son; Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.
5. Wrap me in Your Arms - Gungor
6. When I was lost, Kate and Miles Simmonds
7. Children of the Heavenly King, Hymn
8. Father, Hill Songs United
9. You have saved us, Paul Baloche
Have you got any more songs for us to sing?
Here are some all age worship songs that might help:
1. I am not forgotten – Hill Songs Kids(very catchy)