Looking forward to a seminar this afternoon with students at Regents Park College at Oxford University. One of the topics we are going to look at is whether twitter is worth the hassle. Here are my six reasons why it can be a useful tool for leaders.
1. Incarnating – expressing gospel in another subculture
Living out the gospel in every sphere of life is our calling as disciples of Christ, Twitter is a great space to do that in.
2. Listening – allowing new streams of ideas and information into your imagination
Allow the zeitgeist of new ideas and thought streams to impact you by tuning into different people to follow on twitter.
3. Incepting – injecting ideas into church and culture
There’s not that many new ideas on Twitter – lots of things are just recycled content from other sources. Add your ideas into the mix.
4. Clarifying – developing the skill of conciseness
Having to reduce your thoughts to 140 characters can be a very good discipline to develop. Perhaps Twitter is the 21st century haiku.
5. Collaborating – cross platform networking
Twitter can be a great place to put together needs, skills and opportunities. I have found an amazing film maker through a connection made through Twitter alone.
6. Disseminating – news and information spreads quickly through social networks
Lets say you want to tell everyone there’s been a flood in your building – twitter is a very agile way to get the message out.
What have I missed friends?